Jet lag is a temporary disorder as a result of the change in time zone when traveling. It causes disruption to our body clock, which may affect our physical, emotional and mental condition.
As our body struggles to cope with the current time, we might experience some common symptoms like: headaches, difficulty in sleeping at night, fatigue, loss of appetite, disorientation, dehydration and other discomforts.
Actually, there is no cure for jetlags, but there are several things you can do to avoid it. Please be advised that not all of these tips apply to all travel destinations, but some might be useful for you.
Here are 10 helpful tips to avoid jetlag:
Adjust your sleep time
Consult your Doctor
Adjust your watch
Drink lots of fluids
Avoid coffee and alcoholic beverages
Move around during your flight
Maintain a healthy diet
Adapt to local time
Get enough rest
Relax and enjoy
- Adjust your sleep time. Try to be accustomed to the new time zone by adjusting your regular sleeping hours an hour a day several days before your departure. This will help your body to adapt easier to the new environment.
Consult your Doctor. If you are taking any medications, be sure to talk to your doctor to find out the best strategy for adjusting your medication schedule and doctor appointments.
Move around during your flight. It is advisable to exercise while on the plane as this will help with your body’s circulation. You can walk around once in a while, move your ankles and do some stretching.
Maintain a healthy diet. Be sure to watch what you eat. Remember, too much carbohydrates or sugar will affect your body’s desire to sleep. Try to eat plenty of fruits and vegetables.
Adapt to the local time. If you are expecting to arrive during the day, it will be best if you stay awake during the flight. However, if you’re arriving during the night, go ahead and grab some sleep. This should help adjust your body clock.
Get enough rest. It is key to have a good amount of sleep for couple of nights to help adjust your body clock naturally.
- Travel Tips For Seniors
- Avoiding Jet Lag
- Global Tipping Etiquette
- 7 New Wonders of The World
- Guide To A Safe and Healthy Travel
Other SeniorCareHomes.com Helpful Links:
- Seniors Online Community & Discussion Forum
- Senior Care Facility Search
- Senior Facility Registration
Copyright © 2008-2010 SeniorCareHomes.com. All Rights Reserved.
- Assisted Living Costs – The Hidden Fees Families Should Know - May 12, 2022
- Residential Care Home vs Assisted Living Community - March 15, 2022
- Helping Seniors Stay Connected and Engaged - March 8, 2022