In This Assisted Living Article:
Is Assisted Living For Everyone?
Basic Senior Care Services
Daily Meals, Housekeeping and Transportation
Assistance with Activities of Daily Living
Senior Activities and Senior Programs
Assisted living facilities are suited for seniors who want to live independently but need help with activities of daily living like eating, toileting, bathing, dressing up, grooming, and other minor house chores. Assisted Living is the right senior care option for seniors who do not need 24-hour medical assistance and supervision.
Activities and programs for seniors may vary depending on the actual size of the Assisted Living facility or Assisted Living community. Usually, Assisted Living Communities offer a wider range of senior activities and programs as they have more residents and more staff. Typically, Assisted Living Communities have 25 or more senior residents while Assisted Living Facilities have fewer residents with an average of 4-6 seniors per care home.
- Three complete meals a day including snack and drinks.
- Housekeeping and Laundry Services
- 24-hour Emergency Call Systems for each room
- Assistance with Activities of Daily Living for Seniors like eating, toileting, bathing, dressing up and walking, if needed.
- Transportation to Medical Appointments
- Exercise and Wellness programs to help keep seniors physically and mentally active.
The food service is an important factor for seniors. Assisted Living facilities and Assisted Living communities offer a wide range of healthy and nutritious menu selection. Three complete balanced meals are provided daily as well as snacks and drinks throughout the day. Special diet accommodations may be available upon request.
Usually Assisted Living facilities offer a casual family dinning style, while Assisted Living Communities may offer a wider range, from casual dinning to fine dinning. Housekeeping and laundry services are available as well.
Assistance with Activities of Daily Living (ADLs) is usually available in both Assisted Living facility and Assisted Living communities. Assistance such as eating, bathing, toileting, dressing and minor house chores are available to seniors 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
A variety of activities and programs are available in Assisted Living facilities and Assisted Living communities to entertain seniors and enhance quality of life. Activities such as daily exercise, gardening and board games help keep seniors mentally and physically active for a healthy lifestyle.
The following additional activities and programs may be available to meet seniors’ needs and interests:
- Book Clubs
- Scheduled Outings (trip to the movies, theme parks, concerts, etc)
- Shopping Assistance
- Religious Activities
- Barber and Beautician services
- Shopping Assistance
- Money Management/Banking Services
- Computer and Internet Services
Basic medical services are usually provided in Assisted Living facilities and Assisted Living communities such as:
- Medication Management
- Maintaining Medical Records
- Monthly Wellness Check-up
The following health-related services may be available to seniors as well:
- 24-Hour Nurse Assistance
- Oxygen Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Radiation Therapy
- Speech Therapy
- Memory Care for Alzheimer’s and Dementia patients
These health-related services may be performed in the Assisted Living facility or Assisted Living community, but could be provided by an outside third party.
Copyright © 2018 SeniorCareHomes.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
NOTE: If you would like to use this Assisted Living article on your website or your blog, you MUST include the following immediately below the article.
About the Author: Catharine D. Allado is a Senior Care Expert and the COO of SeniorCareHomes.com – A trusted and comprehensive online directory of Senior Care Homes such as Assisted Living, Nursing Homes and other types of Senior Housing in California, Florida, New York, Arizona and the rest of the United States. SeniorCareHomes.com also provides FREE Assisted Living options to help seniors and families find the best Senior Housing on the planet!
Articles Related To Assisted Living:
- Choosing The Right Senior Care Facility
- Caregiving Payment Options
- Major Factors That Influence Senior Care Housing Fees
- Types of Senior Care Facilities
- Assisted Living Facility Checklist
- 10 Signs That It’s Time For Assisted Living
- Discussing Assisted Living with Your Parents
- When Is The Right Time To Move Your Aging Parents
- Benefits of Pet Therapy in Assisted Living
- Tips When Touring Assisted Living Facilities
SeniorCareHomes.com Helpful Links: