Trying to stay warm this winter season? Read these simple tips to help you stay comfortable and warm this season.
As we age, keeping warm during the cold season becomes more and more important to avoid flu or other serious health problems. Be sure to talk to your doctor about things that you should do.
Here are some suggestions on how you can stay warm and comfortable during the winter season:
- Bundle up from head to toe in several layers, especially in the evening.
- Master the art of layering. It is advisable to wear multiple layers of thin clothes compared to a single layer of clothing as it will provide more heat to the body.
- Wear a hat/beanie, gloves and socks when you go outside to keep you warm.
- Consider putting clothes in the dryer before dressing.
- Install a programmable thermostat. This will help you cut down on your energy bill significantly. Set the temperature higher when you wake up and lower when you go to sleep or when you leave the house.
- Try to maintain a temperature of 70 degrees Fahrenheit or 21 degrees Celsius.
- Keep the curtains open during daytime to allow sunlight to enter and close it during nighttime to retain the heat.
- Seal your doors or any air leaks at home to avoid any cold air from coming in.
- Run a humidifier to raise the humidity level.
- If your ceiling fan has a reverse switch, turn it on as it will help bring heat down.
- Use candles as it can produce heat. However, be very careful where you place it and be sure not to leave the candles unattended.
- Close the doors of unused rooms as this will help stop air from circulating around the house
- If you have a centralized heating system in your house, shut the air vents in unused rooms. Not only will this make you warmer, but this will also save you money.
- Exercise. This will not only help you stay healthy, but it will also generate heat to help keep your body warm.
- Plan more indoor activities.
- Try to move around and avoid sitting for long periods of time, if your health permits, as movement generates heat.
Copyright © 2008-2010 SeniorCareHomes.com All Rights Reserved.
NOTE: If you would like to use this article on your website or your blog, you MUST include the following immediately below the article.
About the Author: Catharine D. Allado is a Senior Care Expert and the COO of SeniorCareHomes.com – A trusted and comprehensive online directory of Senior Care Homes such as Assisted Living, Nursing Homes and other types of Senior Housing in California, Florida, New York, Arizona and the rest of the United States. SeniorCareHomes.com also provides FREE Assisted Living options to help seniors and families find the best Senior Housing on the planet!
Other SeniorCareHomes.com Helpful Links: